My husband and I just celebrated our 24th wedding anniversary. We had dinner a week early because our actual anniversary was right after chemo and we knew I’d feel crummy. I don’t know what my “new normal” will look like post-cancer, but this is my “current normal.” I reflected on all the bizarre things like this that now feel normal. Calmly discussing the fact that I have cancer. Having a large piece of plastic protruding under my skin (my port). Sitting in a chemo ward with a poison IV drip. Not recognizing myself in the mirror due to the weight and hair loss. It’s surreal that these things are no longer surreal.
I’m trying to live life as close to normally as possible, but much is different. My calendar has to be planned around chemo weeks. I need to know where the closest bathroom is at all times. I sleep A LOT. And when I’m awake, I feel like all I do is EAT. At one point in my life this would have brought me great joy, but alas, no longer. Because of the chemo nausea, I can’t eat much more than a snack at one time. But it’s also really important for me to get enough fluids, calories, and nutrients each day. So every hour or two, I’m either eating something or drinking Ensure. When you eat that many times in a day, the options get a bit tiring. And the chemo has altered my taste, so some things that used be favorites now taste like roasted armpit. It really makes eating a chore.
Enter…smoothies! Who knew such a simple thing would be such a huge relief? A friend and fellow survivor has been suggesting I try them, and I FINALLY rounded up some ingredients. It has been a life saver. They go down easy, are filled with nutrients, and bring variety to my diet. Holy cow, I’m a new woman.
So apparently my current normal is a life filled with eating, sleeping, and trying to manage the nausea so I don’t end up needing IV fluids. Oh, and getting REALLY excited about smoothies.
Smoothies are great! For breakfast this morning friends served us yogurt/strawberry/blueberry/banana smoothies- quite yummy. They had a very cool blender-- if you put stuff in it long enough, the blending raises the temperature such that you can have warm soup!
ReplyDeleteI will add that Bonnie Glover finished her chemo about 2 weeks ago.... and her taste is back to normal. Hurray! It's taking a while for the hair... but it will come back, just as yours will. Thinking of you, Erin, and remembering your anniversary! You and Vance had a lovely wedding (and an impressive ???) organist. Sending our love to you and Vance and the girls!
The best organist EVER!
Delete