Today is World Cancer Day, and the 3rd anniversary of my diagnosis. It's a day when I think of my own journey, and keep in my thoughts all those who have new diagnoses, are in active treatment, or have entered hospice.
I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 43, when my kids were 7 and 9. I started this blog to provide updates to people who care about how I’m doing, to give others a window into what a cancer patient might be feeling, and as a therapeutic exercise for myself. As I move out of active treatment, it has shifted to reflections and education for awareness and understanding. Please note that I can only speak for myself, so my feelings are mine and not those of all cancer patients.
Tuesday, February 4, 2025
Cancer Research under Attack
This year as I post, I think of the fact that federally funded cancer research has suffered a devastating blow. After a two week blackout starts to lift and grant reviews slowly resume, the NIH is still prohibited from starting new research projects on its campus and recruiting participants for clinical trials. Current projects have suffered and new grants have been delayed.
Three of my chemo drugs were the result of new research targeting my more aggressive form of breast cancer (Her2+). Advances are also being made in treating the most aggressive form (triple negative). This research is saving and extending lives. This delay is costing them.
https://www.npr.org/2025/02/04/nx-s1-5277159/trumps-efforts-to-remake-government-harming-research-at-the-nih-employees-say
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Cancer Research under Attack
Today is World Cancer Day, and the 3rd anniversary of my diagnosis. It's a day when I think of my own journey, and keep in my thoughts a...
-
Today is World Cancer Day, and the 3rd anniversary of my diagnosis. It's a day when I think of my own journey, and keep in my thoughts a...
-
The outpouring of love and support I have received has been amazing. Messages, cards, phone calls, care packages, personal notes from cancer...
-
I didn’t realize how excited I would be until I woke up with all this nervous energy. There is never any certainty in this trek we call canc...
No comments:
Post a Comment